Friday, March 21, 2014

Baked Potato / Mashed Potato Soup

I adapted the 'freezer baked potato soup' here: http://momonamission.me/potato-soup-is-freezer-friendly/ and a similar recipe here: http://www.yummly.com/recipe/Mashed-Potato-Cheese-Soup-498042?columns=5&position=4%2F57  to make it vegetarian:

Also, last time, the soup I made seemed so small, that this time I made 6 batches to divide between four of us, so each person got about 1.5 batches, FYI. (I find there is SO much variation in how much soup a recipe makes!)



Ingredients

  • 2 tbsps butter
  • shallot (large, finely chopped) (I used a regular onion)
  • 1 clove garlic (or two small, pressed)
  • 2 tbsps all purpose flour
  • 6 cups mashed potatoes 
  • 2 cups chicken stock (I used vegetable stock)
  • 3/4 cup half and half (I could only fit about 1/4 cup per recipe in the pots and I didn't want to add more for fear it would be too thin - but once it cooled, I saw how thick the soup was so I ended up adding more milk when I cooked my litttle batch.  You may want to do the same, depending on what consistency you like.)
  • 8 ozs shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese
  • salt (and pepper to taste*)


  • Recommended garnishes:
  • bacon (if you don't care about vegetarian)
  • green onions
  • sour cream
  • or serve with grilled cheese sandwiches 

No comments:

Post a Comment