Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Recipes from Meal Swaps #1 and #2

1 lb ground beef (you could also use ground turkey)
1 onion, diced
2 (14 oz) cans diced tomatoes
1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
1/4 cup ketchup or chili sauce
1/4 cup water
1 (15 oz) can dark red kidney beans
1 packet chili seasoning mix
3 stalks celery, chopped
2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 Tablespoon sugar
Directions:
Brown ground beef with chopped onion. While they are browning, combine all other ingredients in resealable gallon-sized freezer bag. When the browned hamburger and onion has cooled down, add it to the rest of the ingredients in the freezer bag and zip closed.
When ready to eat, remove from freezer and thaw in fridge for 24 hours. Cook on HIGH for 3-4 hours or LOW for 7-8 hours. Top with shredded cheese and crackers or Frito's corn chips.



Chickpea Curry
 
Ingredients
  • 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 4 tablespoons curry powder
  • 2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 1.5-2 pounds chicken thighs, or breasts, cut into 1 inch pieces (I substituted 2 cans lo-sodium chickpeas)
  • 2 cups chopped peeled sweet potatoes
  • 2 cups baby carrots
  • 2 cup coarsely chopped mango or 2 cans of chopped mango
  • 1 cup chopped onion
  • 1 zucchini chopped, about one cup
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 cups chicken stock, 1 cup per bag - make your own 
  • .5 cup raisins (for garnish)
  • .5 cup peanuts or cashews (for garnish)
Instructions
  1. Divide everything into two separate one gallon freezer bags, shake it up, seal, label and put in the freeze
  2. To cook, take out of freezer and set on counter for about 30 minutes, then dump contents of bag into slow cooker. Cook on high for 4 hours, or low for 8 hours
  3. If you want, you can add 1/2 cup of chicken stock to have more sauce, but the liquid from the frozen meat and vegetables melting should give you enough liquid to work with
Every slow cooker is different, so just watch yours the first time you make it.
 
Extra tips:
 
  I have to tell you, I was so excited to try this recipe out.  The ingredients are 'whole foods', the food in the bags was so beautiful... it had to be good, right?  Well, I was disappointed that it was bland -- it definitely would have been better with about 1 teaspoon salt added.  Maybe it was the lo-sodium chicken stock I used?  And when we made it, I forgot to add the garnish at the end, so maybe that would have helped.  Anyway, I will try others of her recipes in the future because I like the idea of using minimally processed foods.  
 
  The other thing I didn't realize until looking into making swap meal #3, was that recipes from mamaandbabylove are meant to make 12 servings!  No wonder she said to divide it up into 2 bags!  And no wonder it easily fed my family of 2 adults and 3 kids + 4 adults we had for company + leftovers!  Keep this in mind if you use her recipes in the future!
 
  This is why I say I'm still getting the hang of this serving-size thing.  The sixsistersstuff site doesn't mention how many servings their recipes make (and I haven't made my own chili yet, so I still don't know from experience...), so that is a fore-warning for swap #3 recipe from me (beef stew): I hope it makes at least 6 servings! Everytime I just follow a recipe it has been a stab in the dark as to the serving sizes, so this is my official and last apology for the craziness of my meal sizes!
 
OK!  That's it!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Berkeley! I thought it was delicious - not bland at all - and I, too, love the idea of using healthy, whole food items! :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We too loved the curry! We'll definitely make it again...and add some chicken for my Wyoming meat-eating hubby! :) I also loved the chili! Another repeat, for sure!

    ReplyDelete