Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Happy Fall Time Everyone!


I am so excited about this food swap.  Everyone's food looks great!  I just wanted to post this link about the homemade stir-fry I made.  The recipe online is really just for two servings so I tripled the size so that it should serve a family of 6.  (The sauce packet looks really small, but I made the meal for my family tonight, and that little bit of sauce goes a long way!  I also cooked with just a little bit of sesame oil with the canola oil when I fried up all of the ingredients and my family thought it was a hit!)  So,... the proportions should be for each kit:  3 cups rice already cooked, 1/2 cup sauce, 1 lb. chicken, ( I didn't triple the chicken, because I thought 3 lbs. of chicken was a little excessive) and a mixture of vegetables all the same portions as everyone else.  I hope you enjoy!  :0)  The link to the recipe is:  http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-prepare-your-own-frozen-stirfry-dinners-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-193932   This was made by Emma Christensen, and I thought it was a great idea!  I actually bought some nice stir fry sauce at the store and compared it to the homemade sauce, and this sauce wins hands-down.  Nothing beats homemade!!! 

Here are the instructions for cooking the meal from the freezer to the wok:  It's time to wok and roll!

To Heat Up & Serve the Frozen Stir-Fry Meal

  • Defrost Sauce: Remove the stir-fry dinner from the freezer. Place the sauce in a bowl of hot tap water to thaw.
  • Heat Rice: Transfer the rice to a microwave-safe container, cover loosely, and heat for 2 minutes. If not fully warmed, continue heating in 30 second bursts until warm. Keep covered and set aside. Alternatively, the frozen rice can be added to the skillet with the vegetables.
  • Cook the Chicken: Warm 2 teaspoons of oil in a large skillet (like a cast-iron skillet) or a wok over medium-high heat. When the oil is warm, add the frozen chicken. Spread the chicken into a single layer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the chicken develops golden spots and is warmed through, 4 to 6 minutes.
  • Add the Vegetables: Add the frozen vegetables to the skillet with the chicken. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are hot and crisp-tender, 3 to 5 minutes.
  • Mix with the Sauce: Pour the warmed sauce over the chicken and vegetables. Stir until the sauce is thickened and coats all the ingredients, about 1 minute.
  • Serve: Serve the stir-fry over rice. Leftovers will keep refrigerated for up to a week.

  • Thanks ladies for your hard work in preparing your meals too! 

  • Happy Eating!  :0)

No comments:

Post a Comment